Monday, December 31, 2012

Expose of Govt. Work Programme Failure


Jobcentre: Fobbing people off
Letter from David Dennis:

My name is David Dennis and I would like to tell you about a book I have just published and why I published it.

I finished school and for many reasons couldn’t go to university. I wanted to get a job. I applied and applied and in the end I had to sign onto the “dole”. I am not work shy and all I asked for was the support to get myself into paid employment. Instead of some effective support to get into work, I was sent to the Work Programme.

The Work Programme is one of those drains on the taxpayer that is much greater than all the layabouts combined. The whole idea is for private companies to be paid as soon as they complete a series of tests and skills sessions with their allotted students. The students can then apply for jobs with fuller CV’s. In theory, the whole thing sounds wonderful doesn’t it? In reality? The whole thing is a shambles and it needs to be reformed.

For example, let me give you some of the problems as I experienced them:

1) The classes are not put together with a view to the skills of those on the programme, regardless of what the government says. The architect with twenty years experience and the recent school leaver both find themselves in the same basic maths class, “learning” sums.

2) There is a high turnover of staff. In the few months I was on the programme, my tutors and advisors changed endlessly. There was no continuity and the calibre of the teaching staff was appalling. To my knowledge, none had a teaching background and many were completely unprofessional.

3) Work Placements are set up to give people “essential” experience for their CV’s. The placement I had was with one of the country’s “leading” gardening companies, and I found myself doing unskilled manual labor, despite the fact I have 13 GCSEs and 3 ‘A’ Levels with high marks. To add insult to injury (no pun intended), I didn’t receive mandatory protective gear, even after numerous requests. This was a “Workfare” placement. When I complained to the Jobcentre, I was fobbed off.

4) Sanctions are used to discriminate against the unemployed and used to bully them.

5) Ex-prisoners attend the Work Programme skills sessions along with school leavers. I find this to be not only socially irresponsible, but again indicates everyone gets lumped in together without regard to personal experience or qualifications. I was approached by an ex-prisoner with an offer to get into less-than-legal dealings. Had I been desperate or more vulnerable, I could have easily fallen into a deep trap.

6) I was told by my advisor that qualifications gained in school (‘A’ Levels, etc.) were irrelevant and I should not put them on my CV.

The list goes on and on. Finally, I left, signed off and wrote my book.

A few days ago, political commentator Mike Sivier of Vox Political wrote an article about the book. Please have a read here:

I think this is a story that needs a bigger audience. Perhaps then there will be some change. People will be supported to find work instead of castigated. I think there will always be layabouts– but I also believe the majority of people being thrown into these programs want work and would love jobs. If only someone would make the world aware of their struggle then they might have a chance at getting what they want for a change.

Regards,

David Dennis

Related:
David contacted us prior to us releasing his letter to let us know that he had been interviewed by Politics UK.  You can read that interview here.

Source