Monday, December 31, 2012

MP blasts year-long wait to sort out benefits for disabled people

AN MP has raised "deep concern" over the time it takes to sort out appeals for benefit claims by disabled people.

When people challenge decisions to stop their incapacity benefit after an assessment, it now takes 57 weeks – more than a year – for an appeal to be heard. Yet a third of those who appeal have their benefits reinstated.

Nottingham North MP Graham Allen has now hit out at the length of time it takes, after raising the matter in Parliament.

He has helped Susan Goldsmith, 52, of Cinderhill Walk, Bulwell, have her case looked at again, but even with his intervention the process still took 54 weeks.

She was assessed on August 17, 2011, and heard in October that her incapacity benefit was being stopped. She immediately appealed and the decision was finally overturned on December 6.

"I basically lost over £100 a week," said Ms Goldsmith, who suffers from arthritis and can only walk with a stick.

"It's ridiculous that it takes so long. I was living on the breadline. I had just over £60 a week of employment and support allowance to live on, and still am until all the paperwork goes through.

"It's been incredibly difficult and it's caused me a lot of stress and all for me to be in and out of the appeal in two minutes."

Meanwhile Edgar Lang has already been waiting 26 weeks to have his incapacity benefit case looked at again after he lodged an appeal on July 2.

It is estimated his appeal won't be heard until August 2013.

The 37-year-old, of Whiston Close, Bestwood, was diagnosed with depression and anxiety last year after a series of personal problems, including the breakdown of a nine-year relationship and the death of his father.

He had previously worked as a gardener and is now having treatment in the hope he will work again in the future.

His 81-year-old disabled mother is feeding him when he can't afford his own meals.

"She does it because she's my mum but I hate having to put her out," said Mr Lang. "I was diagnosed with depression and it's just a culmination of problems and as a result I feel very anxious when I go out. Even just getting on a bus is a huge thing. I want to go out and work again but until I'm all right mentally I just can't.

"My electricity will be turned off soon, I can't afford to pay for gas and I can't afford meals. I'm finding it very difficult and don't know how I'm going to cope until August."

Graham Allen said: "I wrote to (work and pensions minister) Chris Grayling expressing my deep concern. He responded on December 5 to tell me that average waits were down to 33.1 weeks over the summer. However, two days later HM Courts and Tribunals service told me in a letter that waits were back up to 57 weeks. This wait is sadly typical of those told to me by constituents.

"These are all individual people who are being forced to wait for their money, so many unjustifiably so. They can't not eat or delay payment of bills for 57 weeks."

Source