Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hunger-striker: Con-Dem cuts are killing me

George Rolph, who has post- traumatic stress disorder, told the Star today how his incapacity benefit was suddenly stopped after Atos found him “fit for work.”

He said: “I realised that this is it, there’s no way I can pay my rent or bills. I received a council tax bill requesting immediate payment but now I’ve got no money to pay it with.”

Mr Rolph, who started his hunger strike protest six days ago, has received international solidarity with messages of support coming from campaigners across the world via social networking sites like Facebook.

Many supporters are urging him to end his hunger strike before he becomes another statistic on Calum’s list – a death toll of those who have died or committed suicide as a result of the government’s vicious welfare reforms.

“I really appreciate everyone’s messages but in the end Atos and this government’s policies are killing me slowly,” Mr Rolph argued.

“Soon I will be homeless and on the streets. While I am still in my home I will have no power or heating. I have no family left. I will go from poverty to extreme poverty and at 60 years of age I will not last long anyway.

“I’m not going to die quietly.”