Friday, August 23, 2013

"Jobcentre Staff Nearly Killed Me"


The following event took place on 20th August 2013 at the Jobcentre on Exchange Road in Watford.

jobcentre-watford

I was attending a work related face to face interview. Despite being unwell, I felt I had no choice except to attend or face losing benefit entitlement. I had arranged to be taken there with the Watford voluntary transport office. I had a 2pm appointment and arrived before time and was told to take a seat, because the adviser I was to see was still at lunch.

Despite having breathing troubles (possible onset of emphysema) I waited until the lady concerned called my name. I had to be helped to stand by a member of staff and was taken to her desk. It was clear that I was under considerable distress yet she started the interview and asked me why I was there as it appeared that I was unfit to work: I had been  placed in the Work related Activity Group of Employment and Support Allowance.

I found it  difficult to breathe, let alone speak. I repeatedly asked her to call for an ambulance because I was feeling worse and yet this was ignored until she finally stopped the appointment and phoned the gentleman who had brought me to come and collect me. Again I asked her to call an ambulance and the first aider. That was the 5th time I had asked for this.

My condition continued to worsen while she was on the phone and I became semi-conscious. I was aware of 2 people around me who kept asking me if I was alright. I was unable to answer even though I could hear them. They moved from my chair and laid me on the floor on my back. At this point, I started to choke but to my knowledge no attempt was made to move me into the recovery position, despite the fact that I was choking. Somehow I managed to roll onto my left-side. The choking subsided after a short while but then I was moved onto my back which caused me to proceed to begin choking again.

To the best of my knowledge no first aider was present during this time. The jobcentre told the attending ambulance crew that I was having a heart attack, and also that I had HIV – neither of which is true. The adviser had already told me at the start of the interview that she had no medical knowledge and yet she can diagnose a heart attack, as well as someone having HIV, just by looking at me!? Nowhere is it written that I have HIV, nor that I have ever stated that I have HIV. The adviser even admitted that there was very little information on the system about my disabilities and yet it was written down on the benefits form which DWP used to assess if I was “fit to work”.

The information stated by the jobcentre staff only came to my attention because the nursing staff at Watford general hospital accident and emergency dept asked me if I was HIV [positive]. The hospital records had been checked and no mention  that I had HIV.

Fortunately I am alive, but its only due to the ambulance crew and nursing staff at the hospital. Had it been left to the jobcentre staff things could very easily been a lot different. The ambulance crew could have administered the wrong drug, going on what the staff said.

I could very easily not be here today.

James Laver

Mr Laver informs us that he is considering legal action and the names of Jobcentre staff involved in this incident have been omitted for this reason.

Source